Wednesday, June 11, 2008

More is Less

I have been on both side of the interview fence many times. When I was in between jobs I was the interviewee and as a hiring manager the interviewer. The one thing I can tell you is that candidates don't understand the concept of listening. The individual is more focused on selling themselves to you that the sales pitch is non stop. As the title says less is more. To quote the movie Jerry McGuire in many cases during the interview the candidate has me at hello. Then the more they talk the less engaging they become.

I realize it is very competitive today. If I can pass along a small tip that will go along way is to be selective when responding to questions. Make sure the answers are clear and concise. You may just talk yourself out of a job.

No comments: