Monday, October 15, 2007

Elevator Speech

A recruiter asked me today what is my elevator speech? I have one ready to go when called upon. It is a great skill to polish up on especially if you are a job hunter.

BTW why do I have to be a job hunter? I don't even like guns. I rather call myself job challenged or job browsing. Even if I hunt for a job and catch it or kill it do I get the job? Maybe I don't want the job? Or maybe the job doesn't want me?

Ok back to reality. For those of you who don't know an elevator speech it is a short (15-30 second, 150 word) sound bite that succinctly and memorably introduces you. It spotlights your uniqueness. It focuses on the benefits you provide. And it is delivered effortlessly. Usually in the time it takes for a 30 second elevator ride. The elevator speech started as the elevator pitch. In most cases for entrepreneurs speaking to a potential investor on a new idea or maybe scheme.

So what is your elevator speech? Here are some great resources:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

An elevator speech also delineates the job you are seeking, in 25 words or less.

Unknown said...

Good point Webmaster good. Not only should you describe the value you can add, but the ideal job that you desire.